Be Carbon Monoxide Aware

Get chimneys swept and don’t block ventilation

It is dangerous to block ventilation to your fuel-burning appliances. If you block ventilation to your appliances it can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Fuel-burning appliances need a consistent supply of air in order for complete combustion to occur and for the appliance to work correctly. If you are concerned about drafts in your home, you should speak to your installation specialist who may be able to recommend a different location in your home for the appliance to be relocated.

If you use a solid fuel burning appliance you should have your chimney swept at least once a year, preferably before each winter, as birds’ nests, falling stonework and rubble, also spider webs and leaves can block chimneys and stop or reduce the flow of air. Any blockage can alter the combustion balance or can cause carbon monoxide to enter the home instead of being safely vented from the property outside.

Appliances that are properly installed and serviced and have sufficient ventilation are efficient and safe.