Spot the signs around your appliances

Learn how to spot the signs of a Carbon Monoxide leak around your appliance. Fortunately, although you can’t see or smell Carbon Monoxide it’s easy to identify signs that indicate there may be a strong risk of it being produced. Simply look at your gas or heating appliances. Danger signs include:

Danger signs include:

  • Sooting or staining on or around your appliance
  • Excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed
  • Lazy yellow / orange coloured flames

Carbon Monoxide can also be present in smoke from solid fuel or oil appliances. If you are using a gas appliance that should have a crisp blue flame, such as a pilot light, look out for changes. If it turns to a lazy orange flame, the appliance may not be working correctly.

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Your appliance was incorrectly or badly installed
  • Your appliance is not working properly and efficiently
  • Your appliance has not been safety checked and serviced annually
  • There is not enough fresh air in the room due to blocked vents or chimneys and flues
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked or has not been swept regularly
  • You allow untrained or individuals not qualified for the fuel or appliance to install or maintain your appliances
  • There is no audible CO alarm fitted and working in your home